Born in Seoul in 1940, Wook-kyung Choi showed artistic talent quite early when she was an elementary school student. She nurtured the dream of becoming an artist with the support of her parents, who arranged lessons from such renowned artists as Kim Ki-chang (1914~2001) and Park Re-hyun (1920~1976). After graduating from Seoul Arts High School and the College of Fine Arts at Seoul National University, Choi entered the Cranbrook Academy of Art in the United States in 1963 where she accepted Abstract Expressionism as the main influence of her art.
Choi’s works of the 1960s are characterized with the use of intense colors and free, relentless brushstrokes that show a strong influence of Abstract Expressionism. As she systemically experiments on colors, shape and composition, her art enters a new phase in the early 1970s. Instead of her typical contrasting bright colors of her earlier works, Choi now incorporated translucent and pure colors with images reminiscent of birds, fish, and flowers. In 1976, Choi received an artist residency grant from the Roswell Museum in New Mexico, a period when she could truly immerged herself in her works. In her renderings of this period, the frequent use of meandering lines, fresh blue colors, and playful and organic shapes seem to reflect her fascination in the surroundings in New Mexico.
After her long sojourn abroad, Choi came back to Korea in 1978. She started teaching at Yeongnam University, and her frequent travels to Kyeongsang province and the South Sea regions opened her eyes to the natural beauty of her homeland. No longer influenced by a certain trend or style, her palette changed to subtle colors and her canvas became full of soft lines and supple shapes. She created oval or semicircular compositions and sometimes combined several small canvases into one composition. In this period, she also became interested in the education of female artists and moved to Duksung Women’s University in 1981. Here she continued teaching and artistic creation until her sudden, tragic death in 1985.